Sunday, October 11, 2009

"It's obvious when I shot him I intended to kill him."

one night in hampsted, ruth ellis, the nightclub hostess, shot her racing driver lover, david blakely outside the magdala pub. she emptied a gun into his body and let herself be taken in. i imagine it was a chilly night, as nights would have been in april in london in the 50s. perhaps a bit of fog clouding her judgement. perhaps a bit of drink easing the way.  the judge asked her what she had intended.
"It's obvious when I shot him I intended to kill him."
she was hanged for her honesty, the last woman to hang in the uk.

2 comments:

  1. Marie-Louise11/10/09 9:35 pm

    I think it might be "hanged" not "hung" for that kind of hanging incident...

    love from your pedantic friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's '..last woman to be hung'. Morbidly, one can still make out the bullet marks on the outside wall of the pub confirming the events of that evening.

    ReplyDelete